Pissed Off Poetry

After such a successful round of inspirational poems, I wanted to see if the students could express their anger and frustrations as well as their admiration and love. Their prompt was to follow the same instructions from Crystal's inspirational poem workshop but to write about someone or something that angers them the most. We wanted to feel their anger, be angry with them.

Ma'am Cynthia and I were blown away. We heard hilarious  poems that made us all laugh together, vengeful poems that made me say things like, "Oh....SNAP!" and powerful poems that made us cry with empathy. I was so grateful to hear these expressions and I hope that you will appreciate these angry poems. I included mine again, so can see a little bit into the thing that frustrates me most about my life here.

A few of these are better expressed as a performance (particularly mine, since it requires me making sound effects), but hopefully you can feel the frustration through reading them. Fortunately, others outside our classroom will get the chance to hear some of them because I'm taking a group of 30 students from this class to a poetry open mic night in Baguio City next week. But for now, you can enjoy them here...

I Hate You
by Shai Segundo

One,Two, Three.... Numbers Everywhere!
From hundreds to thousands
From millions to billions
Here we go again.

First, you asked me to divide you
Then you told me to add you
Then you beg me to multiply you
Then you ordered me to subtract you?!?

You're such a chaos!
So hard to understand
And I can't stand it no more
'Coz it's not funny anymore.

I hate you Math!
Will you please grow up
And solve you're own problems?!
'Coz I have my problems too...
 
 
My Angry Poem
Claire B. Sacpa


“Summer, don’t touch that, okay?
Don’t touch that, I saw you
Beagle, don’t eat that, no!
What? Oh c’mon, my eardrums almost burst, yet — haayyy…
Clouds, that’s dirty you know.”
Argh! This is such an annoyance!
And worst is when it’s continuously barking but,
She will just say “Why Boda, what’s your problem?”
Anyway, it’s the dogs, four dogs;
Most of all, the very irresponsible owner.

I am residing at my late grandparents’ house.
She is our boarder; landlady is my aunt, living nearby.

Every time I go home, stressed, from school
I can’t avoid passing by these colorful —
Black, brown, yellow, whatever color — the dog’s poop.
Step, ooppss.. poop, step, step.. poop again, step, step, step, another poop!
A mixture of odorous dogs, not taking a bath for like a year, and its poops

What I can’t take is, at home, when I arrive
Still, dogs’ poop are scattered outside
And when I enter the house… kuuhhh…. the smell!
It’s indescribable, makes me vomit
I just make my nose adapt to it.

At night while studying, they’re also barking
Then she will say, “Keep quiet, I kill you”
Of course they’re still barking;
I’m tired of waiting, tired of waiting for her to kill those dogs,
“I said keep quiet, I kill you.”
Nothing happens.

How could she live with that environment?
She bought dogs and speaks to it in English;
She doesn’t know how to train them.
My eyes, nose, and ears are now polluted
Because of her irresponsibility
I’m so exasperated!

How I wish I’m the boss, so I can say
“Go, leave, take your dogs with you and never show your face here again!
You’re the most disgusting person, I’ve ever known…”
Oh no! I can’t do that.
Oh, yes I can!
In my dreams…
 
The Counting Starts
by: Amanda S.

The sound of the bell rings
Another life taken
Several forgotten
Counting starts
One, two, three, four
Killing in another more
Five, six, seven, eight
Begging, pleading, screaming soul
Nine, ten, eleven, twelve
No one's watching kill them all
Thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen
Left alone, abandoned toll
Seventeen, eighteen, nineteen, twenty
Tortured body, lifeless form
Increasing numbers, all I see
Everyday they kill with glee
Madness, foolishness
By parent's heart
Scattered pieces on the ground
left for dead, silence shouts
Merciless murder
I will say
Kill the murderer's right away
Let the pain and suffering
Felt by criminals all the way.
Kill them all, that's all I'll say.
 
 
POEM OF ANGER
BY: JELYN CORTEZ


Waiting seems forever
It is good it is worth waiting
But frustrating and irritating
If you waited for nothing
It’s been decade when he’s gone
A decade of waiting and hoping
But a decade of frustration
And years full of hurt
Why is life so unfair?
He’s a good man, but is he taken there
In a way like a nightmare
And leave us all in suffer
In that unfortunate night
He was hit without having a chance to fight
He was found when the morning light
Half dead and half alive,
a term that describe it right
Hit by metal tubes
And punched by group of men
Drop it from the second floor like a sack
Who would have survive in such
Even so called friend is there
The only witness, his very own friend
Where is he? He’s nowhere
Silenced by fear
And blinded with money
And the criminals live freely
Damn this people!
Damn justice!
Why did this people ever live?
Why did these things ever exist,
if they don’t serve their purpose,
and give others hope for nothing.
Give promises that others expect
But fulfill nothing.


Carrying  The Family Name
by Khira Rey

She told me over and over again
All she could say was how stupid
                she was to marry him
All I can hear are stories full of regret
But her words were fresh emotions
Clawing me, forcing me to open my eyes
Till I felt reality
Till I was consumed by this agony
And I started to loathe him
To despise him!
To hold tightly to my grudge
And of all the people I had to hate
It was my own father

Some of you might think ill of me
I was treated with indifference because
                of my resentment
Because they don’t understand
That I am not a saint!
They don’t know
How it feels like
To sizzle, to tremble
To hold back the hatred
Just for the sake of divine law
I burned in embarrassment
It’s like heaven rained down inferno
I carried the family name
I never wanted to have
Ugh! If only I could change this name
                without getting married

I remember
The way he treated us like animals
Like caregivers! Maids! Lowlifes!
When he would laugh and mock
                us like we’re morons
I was even seen as a whore in my
                Father’s eyes
Accused of immoral things I never committed

Don’t you speak of care and love
I never felt any from him
He loved his gin and whiskey
And he cared for himself

I was even forced to grow up
To stand as a man in the family
Just to fill in the spaces,
The responsibilities he never tried to fulfill
I was insulted! Degraded!
I was hiding yet I was hunted by
                my very own father
They don’t know how it hurts
To watch my mother cry desperately
                In front of me
And all I could do was to watch her grasp air
So don’t you dare speak ill to me
Like you know my story


Seeking Silence
by Tracy Fuller

Ahhhh! Finally some time alone.
I settle in to write my angry poem
clearing my mind and embracing this rare moment.
My pen hovers over the blank page
hmmmmmm
What makes me angry?

As ideas start to peek into my mind
a symphony of sounds invades my ears.
First a saw buzzing away
WEEEEEEEEEEEN!
Then joined by his kasama the hammer,
furiously driving nails with a THUD! THUD! THUD! THUD!

(sigh)

Back to this poem. 
hmmmmmm
What makes me angry?
WOOF! WOOF! WOOF!
My neighbor's dog leads the pack in a song.
ARF! ARF!
BARK! BARK!
OWWWWWWWUUUUUUUU!
WOOF!

Children trundle about, giggling with glee
HEE HEEEE HEEEEEE! HAA HAAAA HAAAAAA!
I don't feel much like laughing.
I take a deep breath
INHALE...
EXHALE...

COCK-A-DOODLE-DOOOOOO! The rooster chimes in.
TA-HOOOOOO! TA-HOOOOOO!
WAAAAAAAAAAAH! The baby protests as her mother weeps the stairs
SWISH SWISH SWISH
WAAAAAAAAAAAH!

I start gnawing my nails
trying to put pen to paper
heart pounding
getting nowhere.

(DEEP SIGH)

BEEP...BEEP... BEEP... The van alerts everyone to its reversing
MEOW! MEEEOOOW! MEEEEEEOOOOOOW!
PLA-STEEEEEEC! PLA-STEEEEEEC! 

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...
What's that awful whistling sound?
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Oh! My tea kettle!
My hands are quaking as I try a taste
I spill hot tea on my paper -
the brown, wet splotch the only mark I've managed to make.

Try a sip, but I scald my shaking hand
OOOOOOOWWWWWWWW!

INHALE
EXHALE

Small sip, successfully unspilled.
Pen to paper.
start to scribble
 
WEEEEEEEEEEEN!
THUD! THUD! THUD! THUD!
WOOF! 
ARF!
BARK!
OWWWWWWWUUUUUUUU!
HEE HEEEE HEEEEEE! 
HAA HAAAA HAAAAAA!
COCK-A-DOODLE-DOOOOOO!
TA-HOOOOOO! TA-HOOOOOO!
WAAAAAAAAAAAH!
SWISH SWISH SWISH
BEEP...BEEP... BEEP... 
MEEEEEEOOOOOOW!
PLA-STEEEEEEC!
"Too much love will kill you...."

Oh no! NOT videoke!
ANYTHING but videoke!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Forget it!
I GIVE UP!

 


0 comments: